CATECHESIS OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD (CGS)
A child’s journey in the Atrium begins at the age of 3 years.
The Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (CGS) is a comprehensive faith formation programme for children starting at 3+ through to 12 years old – where the child encounters the Good Shepherd and starts to develop a close, personal relationship with Jesus. This catechesis is firmly grounded in Liturgy and Scripture, and is framed by Montessori principles of education. Trained catechists present essential “lessons” and guide the child at “work” with sensory-rich material in a sacred space called the Atrium.
The Catechesis endeavours to respond to the young child’s desire to "Help me draw closer to God by myself."
CGS Sessions take place in a specially prepared environment called the Atrium. It is ...
- a place of encounter where we are invited by Jesus to draw closer to Him “and become like little children”
- a place of prayer where all ‘work’ is either a passage to prayer or prayer in itself
- a place of meditation where we listen to God speak
- a place of preparation where children are prepared to join the wider community, our Church
The Catechesis of the Good Shepherd was started in 1954 by Sofia Cavalletti, a Hebrew and Scripture scholar, who saw through careful observation and study, that a child has a unique way of being in the presence of God – a gift also to an adult who cares to stop long enough and notice. Together with her colleague, Prof. Gianna Gobbi, a Montessori-trained educator, the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd was created and evolved to what it is today, practiced in 22 countries worldwide, and in 13 parishes in Singapore, fully endorsed by the Catholic Archdiocese of Singapore.
Thursday, Friday and Saturday Location: St Mary’s Atrium, Room B11
|Level I Year 1, 2, 3 (N2, K1, K2)|
|Thursday||3:30 pm – 5:00 pm|
|Friday||3:30 pm – 5:00 pm|
|Saturday||9:00 am – 10:30 am
1:30 pm – 3:00 pm
3:30 pm – 5:00 pm
|Level II Year 4, 5, 6 (P1, P2, P3)*|
|Thursday||5:15 pm – 7:15 pm|
|Friday||5:30 pm – 7:15 pm|
|Saturday||11:00 am – 1:00 pm|
|Level III Year 7, 8, 9 (P4, P5, P6)*|
|Friday||7:30 pm – 9:30 pm|
* Parish Catechism – From Level II (P1 onwards), all children will join St Mary’s parish catechism classes concurrent with Atrium sessions.
Children start the CGS path of continuous formation at 3+ years, the year they turn 4 years old.
- Registration takes place in October of the year before your child's entry into the Atrium. (For example, new registrations for 2020 will open in October 2019 for children born in 2016)
- All parents new to CGS are first requested to join the CGS Information Session, at which point registration opens. This session is typically held on the first Saturday of October.
- There are no waitlists, registrations are only accepted during this registration period.
- Exact date of the CGS Information Session is announced in our parish bulletin and other social media formats in May - August.
FORMATION COURSES & PARENT INVOLVEMENT
“If we want to help the child draw nearer to God, we should with patience and courage seek to go always closer to the vital nucleus of things. This requires study and prayer. The child will be our teacher if we know how to observe.” (Sofia Cavalletti)
Training and formation is an ongoing process for catechists and parents.
- Parents attend 2-3 Parent Sessions a year and support the running of the Atrium.
- Catechists-to-be participate in a 6 full-day CGS Formation Retreat to prepare them to work with pre-school children in the Atrium setting. Please email Main Contact below for more information and latest formation schedules.
Fr Clifford Augustine, OFM